To create an easy-to-use streaming server software that can be run from a Windows PC or laptop as the master control for an online TV station.
ABOUT THE STATION
Channel Pittsburgh ([url removed, login to view]) will be a nonprofit streaming online TV station that will provide area media artists with a creative outlet and area media students with the opportunity to work in a semi-professional environment. The station will also air classic TV shows, movies and even radio programs.
The station will initially be run from the home of author/arts entrepreneur James A Richards ([url removed, login to view]) despite his health issues and limited resources (he is on Disability).
THE SOFTWARE’S NEEDS
• To be able to switch easily between live production (such as a newscast) with pre-recorded material (a commercial during the newscast) and pre-recorded, pre-scheduled programming (like a movie)
• To be able to pre-program, to the second, the start and stop of saved play lists with a perpetual/indefinite calendar-clock (there will be no selecting play lists by viewers).
• To accept MP4/MPEG-4 and JPG as the primary file formats.
• Run from a Windows PC or laptop using XP and above operating systems in a standard home or office environment
• To be viewable from [url removed, login to view], portable devices and Yahoo app store for smart TVs (I can provide this info)
• An easy to use, highly visual, tool for managing the stream.
• Allow viewers to access (perhaps with a simple click) a description of the current program being streamed.
• A ticker option for the station to add breaking news/weather information as desired