Professional American Football (NFL) Game Charting Project
1. Watch one (1) recorded National Football League game television broadcast and document approximately 20 data items on each scrimmage play.
2. An NFL game will have approximately 120-150 plays. Plays involving a free or scrimmage kick shall not be charted.
3. The freelancer shall document the following data points on every scrimmage play:
b. Home Team Score
c. Visiting Team Score
d. Team on Offense
e. Team on Defense
f. Down (1-4)
g. Distance to Line of Gain/Goal
h. Field position of ball spot
i. Pre-snap offensive formation, including number of running backs, wide receivers, and tightends
j. Pre-snap offensive motion
k. Pre-snap defensive formation, including defenders in the box and pass rushers
l. Clock time at snap
m. Type of play: Pass or Run
n. Offensive Point of Attack
4. This is a trial project. If the data collection methods prove successful, a team of game charters may be employed to chart 271 NFL games played over a period of 20 weeks starting in September. If this project proceeds, a web-based data collection tool will be developed to speed data entry. The output of this trail project will be captured using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. More than one freelancer may be selected for this trial.
5. Expected time required to complete one (1) game chart is 1 hour for a beginner. Game charting efficiency is expected to increase through repetition. The freelancer is responsible for obtaining a recording of the NFL broadcasted game and including the cost of doing so in his or her proposal.
6. There is no predetermined budget for this project. Asking the customer to disclose a budget will put the freelancer at risk of being eliminated from consideration. It is the freelancer's obligation to estimate and propose a cost to the customer.
7. Knowledge of American football is NOT required. However, asking the customer to define basic American football terms and concepts is not advised. Instead, use this resource to look up terms you may see in this project description: [url removed, login to view]
8. This job will be awarded after a question and answer period that satisfies the customer. There is no timeline or schedule available.
9. The customer will obtain HIGH confidence the freelancer that is chosen understands EXACTLY what they plan to do.
More resources for freelancers who need help understanding American football:
Here is a source for game video:
You may chose to purchae this (there is a free trial too), or find another method. Put the cost into your proposal cost and it will be paid at the first milestone so you may begin work.
Here are old games you can view for free:
A sample game chart from the game played on Jan 7, 2017 has been attached. This is the official boxscore: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201701070htx.htm
However, the customer needs data that this boxscore does not contain.